Thursday, December 3, 2015

Kazan

Kazan Cathedral

Before we get too distracted with all of the other famous buildings on Red Square we have to give some attention to this lovely little building called Kazan Cathedral.  It is on your left, immediately after coming through the huge Resurrection Gate.  Directly in front of you is St. Basil's Cathedral, which takes your breath away, and is why this feature could be completely ignored. 



I was surprised to read that this remarkable cathedral was rebuilt in 1993 after the original 17th-century church was demolished by Stalin in 1936 to give parading soldiers better access to Red Square.  It houses a replica of the miracle-working Icon of the Kazan Virgin.


I like to take pictures of doorways, but couldn't help but to capture a likeness of the original Icon of the Kazan Virgin, probably in mosaic.




During the day, it seemed like the doors were locked, but one evening we found it open and filled with parishioners. As we went inside, I felt like we were the only tourists.  Along the front and two sides was a narrow walkway.  You could then enter the (very small) church through three doorways.  There were no seats or pews so I found everyone standing.  The only lighting came from small chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and the lit candles that people had placed on the stands.  Fortunately there was a service taking place with priests chanting and a small choir singing just at the right time.  I finally had to wiggle my way out, which is hard to do when everyone's eyes are closed!  



As we came back out in the cold we saw Resurrection Gate lit for night-time viewing.

visited:  Saturday, November 21, 2015 and inside, Sunday, November 22, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment